Produce the proof
Produce a PDF documents in Scribus for on screen viewing (File > Export > Save As PDF) using the following settings:
- Output one file for each page: unchecked.
- General tab: All pages, Compatibility: PDF 1 .4, Maximum image resolution: checked and set to 72 dpi.
- Fonts tab: Fonts to embed: click Embed all.
- Extras tab: Enable presentation effects: unchecked.
- Viewer tab: Document Layout: Single Page, Visual Appearence: Use Viewers Default.
- Security tab: Use Encryption: unchecked.
- Color tab: Output intended for: Screen/web.
- Pre-Press tab: Printer Marks: all unchecked, Bleed: Use Document Bleed: Checked.
Enter a document name at the top of the window and click Save.
We recommend either that the author use Xournal or Evince for proofing the cover, and a text document for noting corrections to the pages. With this software the author can do annotations directly in the PDF.
PDF created in Xournal.
Make the changes
The proof of the pages can roughly be categorized into typos and “bad” linebreaks. Bad linebreaks are often subjective. In real life scenarios you can discuss them with the author before applying corrections as described in the tutorial Cover layout (final finish).
Apply all corrections and generate a new PDF for final proof and OK from the author.